View Single Post
Old 08-08-2023, 07:49 AM

Update: I put a piece of electrical tape over the lens so that only 1/4 of the field of view is uncovered. Of that remaining 1/4, the target window takes up maybe 1/4th of that space. So the window is still not really the main focal point.

That being said, there was a noticeable improvement with the tape. The view went from a bright white square where you could see absolutely nothing to being able to clearly see the frame of the window and I'm able to clearly see a dark figure moving around against a white background.

Unfortunately fine detail is still impossible to make out. All I can see is the outline of a person illuminated against a white background. There's definitely a significant improvement, but still no clear view.

The other main thing I notice is the improved view is only available with the camera's night vision turned on. If night vision is turned off, the window is still illuminated as a bright white square with nothing visible period.

My hope is that if I can further cover up more of the lens so that only the window is uncovered and everything else is blocked off, the view will improve further.

*fingers crossed* that things will keep improving as I refine the cover on the camera.

In the meantime, I'm also open to suggestions for better equipment. Is anyone familiar with a wireless security camera that provides optical zoom? From my research it seems like consumer level security cameras all use digital zoom which is useless for my situation since digital zoom does not affect the lens exposure.

Unfortunately I have to use a wireless (battery powered) camera as I have no outlet available anywhere near the area where the camera needs to be setup.